Today nominees for the 16th annual Webby Awards were announced. We here at Eye on the Arctic found out that our Arctic Health Series: Bridging the Divide has been nominated for an award in the News and Politics: Series category.
The Webby Awards is the leading international award honouring excellence on the Internet.
The health crisis in the Arctic has become one of the most pressing issues in the world’s circumpolar countries but receives relatively little media and political attention next to issues like climate change and Arctic sovereignty.
When Radio Canada International set out to work on the Arctic Health Series in 2011 we travelled to Nunavik and Nunavut in Arctic Canada to look at this issue from the perspective of those living in these remote Arctic regions. Some of our stories from the series include:
- Caring for our People: Inside Arctic Nursing, a short film where we talk to Minnie Akparook, an Inuk nurse, about the obstacles she overcame to become a nurse in the Arctic.
- Lavinia’s Story, a documentary where Lavinia Curley, an Inuk woman living in Nunavut, shares her story about overcoming addition and abuse and the difficulty in obtaining mental health services in the North
- Bridging the Divide, a documentary focusing on how local Inuit are working to improve health and well-being in their communities despite the enormous challenges
The response to our videos and reports in our Arctic Health Series were overwhelming. I think it comes down to one thing: the honesty and bravery of the northerners who agreed to speak with us on film, no matter how personal or how difficult the subject matter. It was an honour to be able to tell their stories.
Besides our nomination in the News and Politics: Series category, we’re also up for a People’s Voice Award, an award voted on by the public.
If you’ve had a chance to look at Bridging the Divide: Arctic Health Series and like what you see, you can vote for us here until April 26.
If your browser doesn’t take you directly to the voting page, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Webby Award People’s Voice Awards, here.
- Go to Jump to Category and choose the Online Film & Video section (the third choice along the top)
- Click on the News & Politics: Series section
- Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Email
- Vote for Bridging the Divide